On Monday 23 January 2017, the Maltese Ambassador in Greece, Joseph Cuschieri presented the main priorities of the Maltese Prsidency, in a press conference at the Europen Parliament’s Office in Athens.Appart from other issues, the Maltese Presidency will focus on the migration crisis by:
- Strenghtening the Common European Asylum System in order to distribute migration more fairly
- Revising the Dublin Asylum System
- Transforming the European Asylum Support Office
- Relocating 160.000 people in need of international prrotection
- Promoting the internal and external dimension fo migration with a a sustainable investment in Africa in order to tackle the root causes of migration.
In a question of Active News, the Ambassador said that for the EU-Turkey Agreement to be effective, there must be willingnes by Turkey, as there should be «two to tango».